Sunday 9 June 2013

Bangkok Pratunam: Day 1




Whoohoo thank god for the blogger app on phones! So now I can update stuff about my trips with ease :)
Anyway shall attempt to make this post a brief one because I'm very tired from a whole day of shopping and eating (yes as enjoyable as the both of them are, they still sap the energy outta ya)
Started the day early, reaching airport terminal 1 at about 5.30 am (our flight was at 7.40am). Had an early breakfast #1 (there was later breakfast #2 on the airplane which I forgot to take) ; of kaya toast slathered with butter and toasted to crunchy perfection.

Fast forward to a few hours later, after a brief 2 hour flight we finally reached Bangkok and sat a taxi to Glow hotel which is located on the 7th floor of a shopping mall!! How cool is that!! The hotel is rather new so it looked really chic and posh from the lobby :)
Waiting longue
We were served a refreshing small glass of (way too sweet) cranberry juice while waiting for the room to be registered. As we could only sign in at 2pm and there was still a few hours till that time, we decided to make our way to Chatuchak Weekend Market, one of the most largest and most famous markets in Thailand. Apparently one would need to spend at least 4 hours walking around the enormous market, according to a website I checked out before coming 0:
We sat a tuk tuk there which is a thai open-air taxi :)
Onward to the food!!! Chatuchak is known for its numerous stalls selling everything ranging from handicrafts, fashionable clothing, and food. Basically everything under the sun! The cup above is a refreshing grass jelly with natural brown sugar which is a welcome respite from the scorching heat. 
Salmon puff pastry bought by dad to share.  Then we decided to go for a proper lunch, and stopped by a random stall selling fried pork and chicken etc.
Guy came by with a tray of food for us to choose from! The white stuff is sticky rice; which is basically glutinous rice :)
Fried chicken; fried pork served with a sweet chilli sauce.
Awesome minced pork vemicilli. This was sooo good, seasoned with lime and chilli. 
Looks like fishcake but it isn't! I think it's a chicken cake coz the meat used certainly isn't fish.
First Tom yum soup in Thailand; pork cartilage soup!!! I love tomyum so even though the weather was killer I still drank lots of this zingy spicy goodness ;)
The famous coconut ice cream! Quite a few stalls selling this; 35 baht for a portion (~ S$ 1.50) topped with your choice of attap seeds, nata de coco etc. Dad chose pumpkin and corn. It comes with a complimentary free small cup of refreshing young coconut juice :) SUPER NICE. Really authentic ice cream with non of those artificial sweeteners that make normal ice cream taste like crap. I really liked this :)
Ok there were a zillion stores selling all sorts of fashionable clothes (like Bugis Junction x100) but it was way too hot for me to bother taking many photos.
We passed by this section for pets!! So many dogs and pets that were so adorable!!!
Oops I broke the rules :/ #whocaresi'matouristandidowhatiwant. 
SO FLUFFY IM GONNA DIE!!! If I could ill take a gazillion more pics of these balls of cuteness.
Nice pineapple shake, a bit too sweet but well worth the 40 baht paid :)
We took the BST ( thailand's MRT) back to our hotel ( we used the wrong mode of transport and ended up having to take a taxi but that's a story for another time cos I'm way too lazy too type!)
I'll just fast forward a little here cos I really want to sleep hehehe
Yummy multi-coloured corn for about 20baht for a whole stalk! I love this, first tried this in an Asian supermarket last year in USA but pity I don't really see in in Sg ): It tastes like mini balls of mochi- chewy but with a natural corn flavour. Told my parents to buy this everyday while we are still here ;)
By the way this is the inside of the hotel room! Nicely furnished right! :)
View from the hotel room
After checking in we rested for a while before heading to Platinum Fashion Mall opposite for a bit of shopping before going for dinner at the food court on the sixth storey (yes the mall has freaking SIX storeys crammed with stalls selling all the clothes one could possibly wish for). WARNING: FOOD SPAM AHEAD COS MY FAMILY CONSISTS OF MAJOR FOOD LOVERS.
Starting off healthy with spring rolls wrapped in various fillings such as tuna, chicken and crabmeat. With an addictive green sauce that I ABSOLUTELY LOVED. I'd say the sauce made the dish.
Apparently the mango glutinous rice here is not bad so we ordered a plate! Pretty yummy (but it's the first one we've had on this trip so there's not much to compare with) but the ratio of mango to sticky coconut rice was about 2:1 
Some fried dish with a dark soy chilli sauce. Like the fried version of soon kueh etc, but it's gooood.
Oyster Omelette Thai style! Much crispier and less eggy than the Sg version..not sure which I prefer?
Stewed claypot beef. Nothing too remarkable?
Takoyakiiiiii!!! Drenched with mayonnaise and I don't know what sauce. A huge ball of flour hiding a tiny bit of octopus. 
KWAY CHAPP!! mom spammed too much pepper accidentally so it ended up spicier than it should be. But it's still awesome :)
I literally squealed when I saw these beautiful handphone covers layed out on one of the street stalls outside the mall. So pretty!!!! But I'm probably changing my phone soon so I didn't buy any :/ Mom bought one for her Samsung note though, at 200baht which is about half the price for the same cover in sg!!!
BLUEBERY CRUMBLE CAKE from central mall (oops sorry I forgot to mention we went over there as most stalls in platinum were already closing for the day)
Examples of today's loots! (Among a few others ;) )Damn pretty and relatively cheap shorts! ( all <$10)  my life is (almost) complete hahaha. Anyway looking forward to another day of shopping tomorrow! Gotta sleep so replenish my energy so tata!!!




























No comments:

Post a Comment